22 03 2018
Best prefab placement and level creation tool on the planet.
Octave3D brings a lot of features that makes level creation and object placements in Unity very fun and intuitive.
This tool also supports brushes and object snapping that helps developers focus more on the design and artistic aspect of game game creation rather than worryin the technical side of it.
The custom editor Is very intuitive and easy to use. The fields are all strategically organized and most of the frequently accessed tools are exposed to the developer for easy accessed.
Personally, the best feature in Octave3D is the support of hotkeys. This makes it so damn powerful for speed level creation. At first you will be very dependent on the custom editor, while its good in its own, the hotkey shortcuts make it more fun and easy. Before you know it, you are creating levels and polishing it in just minutes, an hour tops.
- An intuitive object (prefab) placement tool. This actually integrated to Unity`s transform tools. This supports grid, vertex abd object snapping so you can precisely place the prefab anywhere you want with the correct orientation.
- Object path tool. This is a feature if you want to place a prefab that follows a particular pattern like fences, grids, stone trails etc.
- Prefab brush tool. Supports prefab placement transform, scale and rotate randomizarion so the props won`t look repettitive and will be more organic and realistic.
- Prefab placement mirroring. This is useful if you are creating something that needs to be mirrored like the chairs inside the chuch or the trees along a pathways etc.
- Supports for prefab categories and tags so you can easily managed, group and find any prefabs that you need to populate the scene.
- Very lightweight and optimized. With all the capabilities of this asset, I`m really surprised that it runs smoothly inside Unity`s editor.
- Supports Unity terrain. This makes trees, grasses, logs or other props very easy to populate on the scene.
The above features are the only ones that I mostly used as of now but I believe that this asset can give more if given the right scenario and level requirements.
- The only cons I can think of is that the asset does not support of user-defined hotkeys. All the hotkeys are hardcoded by the author so if you want to modify the hotkets, you need to dig in to the scripts and change the keys in there.
I can say that this is probably the best prefab placement and level creation tool on Unity asset store. The price is fair as well.
Edit: Updated to a 5-star review and updated the review title. I really did not notice the rating selection as I wrote this review first using an android phone.